Welkom – A first group of almost a thousand gold miners who were trapped underground for more than a day following a power cut resurfaced early on Friday morning, mining company Sibanye Gold said.
Spokesperson James Wellsted said power had been restored, rescue operations had begun and the first lift had brought up a group of miners.
Wellsted told EWN that they will continue to hoist the remaining miners till everyone is out of the mine.
The miners will be taken to the change house where they will be able to shower and get food before having medical assessments.
Trauma counselling has been provided for them and their families, he added.
On Thursday night Sibanye Gold said that 955 miners were still trapped and they were working to restore power.
The miners were in a ventilated area and had access to food and water.
During the course of Thursday they managed to rescue 272 miners from shaft four and 64 from shaft one.
Mineral Resources Minister Mosebenzi Zwane is expected to visit the mine on Friday.