At least 15 people have died in an Islamist attack on an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi, Kenyan police sources said Wednesday, as fresh explosions and gunfire rang out in the siege which stretched into its second day.
Security forces worked throughout the night to secure the DusitD2 compound, which includes a 101-room hotel, spa, restaurant and office buildings, after an attack claimed by Al-Shabaab Islamists on Tuesday afternoon.
At least one suicide bomber blew himself up at the hotel while gunmen sprayed fire before engaging security forces and holing themselves up at the premises as civilians fled or barricaded themselves in their offices awaiting rescue.
"We have 15 people dead as of now and that includes foreigners," a police source said on condition of anonymity.
Among the dead was an American citizen, a State Department official said.
A second police source confirmed the toll but warned "there are areas not yet accessed but that's what we know so far.
"After 12 hours trapped inside the complex, a group of dozens of people was freed at 03:30, according to an AFP journalist at the scene, followed by fresh gunfire and a detonation.