Chiefs demolish City in rain-delayed tie

28 November 2013 7:52 AM

26 0

Chiefs demolish City in rain-delayed tie

Bernard Parker netted a brace as Kaizer Chiefs romped to a resounding 4-1 victory over Polokwane City at the FNB Stadium on Wednesday night in an Absa Premiership match.

Eric Mathoho and Kingston Nkhatha also netted for Amakhosi while Puleng Tlolane scored the consolation goal for the away side.

Chiefs came into this match with four changes from their weekend loss to Platinum Stars in the Telkom Knockout while City made three changes from their side that won 3-0 at home to University of Pretoria on the weekend.

Chiefs took the lead in the fourth minute of the match when Mathoho brilliantly controlled in the box and unleashed a superb strike to beat City keeper Modiri Marumo on his near post, 1-0.

The game was temporarily stopped in the 13th minute due to persistent lightning. The players were off for 45 minutes during the thunderstorms with the match in a threat of being cancelled.

Ten minutes after the restart, however, Chiefs should have doubled their lead.

Parker picked out Nkhatha with a defence splitting pass, but the Zimbabwean striker could only shoot straight at Marumo in a one-on-one opportunity.

Nkhatha made amends in the 26th minute when he got in-between two City defenders who made a hash of clearing the ball, but the former Black Leopards marksman won the ball and made no mistake from close range as he powered home to make it 2-0.

Just after the half hour mark Chiefs made it 3-0. George Lebese picked out Parker who was on the edge of the box and the Bafana Bafana striker powered home with a rocket header beyond Marumo.

City coach Boebie Solomons made a rare double change with five minutes remaining in the first half.

Puleng Tlolane and Vusi Mthimkhulu came on for Mothusi Gopane and Itumeleng Motsiane while Chiefs gave a debut to goalkeeper Riyaad Pieterse who replaced Itumeleng Khune at halftime.

Parker grabbed his sixth goal of the season when he made space for himself just outside the box and cracked a superb shot with his left foot which hit the top inside corner of the net, 4-0.

With seven minutes remaining, Chiefs were reduced to ten men when Josta Dladla was sent off for dissent.

Chiefs’ lead was reduced to three goals when City scored their consolation goal. The ball was played over the Chiefs defence and Tloalane netted from close range as he beat the offside trap.

Kaizer Chiefs: Khune (Pieterse 46’), Dladla, Mashamaite, Mathoho, Ritchie, Katsande, Letsholonyane, Nkosi, Parker, Lebese (Masango 77’), Nkhatha (Majoro 56’)

Polokwane City: Marumo, Molekwane, Lichaba, Mngqibisa, Tshilo, Molala, Moyana, Rakhale (Kanyenda 71’), Motsiane (Mthimkhulu 40’), Nzimande, Gopane (Tlolane 39’)


To category page