Krecjir bail application postponed

06 December 2013 4:35 PM

24 0

Krecjir bail application postponed

JOHANNESBURG - The bail application by Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir and three co-accused has been postponed until Monday by the Palm Ridge Regional Court for further evidence, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said.

Krejcir, Desai Luphondo and two members of the Hawks, Warrant Officers Samuel Modise Maropeng and George Jeff Nthoroane appeared on Friday.

They were arrested last month on charges of assault, kidnapping and attempted murder.

Maropeng and Nthoroane are attached to the Hawks organised crime unit in Germiston.

They previously submitted through their lawyer Francois Roets that the State had no case or evidence against them. They denied the charges and the State's contention that they had threatened witnesses.

Roets earlier told the court that was not true that Maropeng owned four luxury cars and four properties.

Dama asked why there was no documentary evidence from the traffic department to support the State's claims.

"This is a man well-equipped to flee at any time. It is on record that the family have several passports, some in assumed names."

On Wednesday, Mashiane said Krejcir had stated in an affidavit that his mother had transferred R40 million to South Africa via the SA Reserve Bank. He said the money belonged to his mother and it was up to her to decide what to do with it.

Magistrate Reginald Dama asked Mashiane if the mention of the money was to show that Krejcir was, as the only child, the person to inherit the money and would not abscond only to leave it behind.

"That could be the case. If the applicant flees, then he can leave the money behind for Sassa to distribute through social grants."

Source: enca.com

To category page

Loading...