Polokwane stun Tuks - PSL

24 November 2013 3:37 PM

41 0

University of Pretoria’s ‘second season blues’ continued on Sunday when they were humbled 3-0 by Polokwane City in an Absa Premiership match at the old Peter Mokaba Stadium on Sunday.

AmaTuks were a revelation in their debut top flight campaign last term, but are finding the second season a much tougher prospect.

In this match they found themselves 3-0 down by half time and City were even happy to take their foot off the pedal in the second half and cruise to the three points against a visiting side that offered so little in the way of attacking threat.

Polokwane City got off to a flying start and found themselves two goals up inside the first quarter hour. On the eight minute mark Moffat Mdluli provided a teasing cross from the right flank that allowed Puleng Tlolane to power home a header and put the hosts 1-0 up.

Just four minutes later it was 2-0, with Esau Kanyenda beating goalkeeper Washington Arubi to a hopeful long ball out of defence and placing a looping header into the back of the net.

Tuks were stunned by City’s fast start but gradually worked their way back into the game and should have reduced the deficit through Atusaye Nyondo 10 minutes before the break, but the striker wasted two good opportunities.

The Pretoria team were soon made to pay for this, with Rise and Shine extending their advantage in the 42nd minute through a first PSL goal from Botswana player Galabgwe Moyana, who fired a beautiful left-footed shot into the top corner from just outside the box.

AmaTuks made two changes at the start of the second half, introducing Tebogo Monyai and Fikru Tefera, and they created a couple of clear chances to reduce the deficit in the first 20 minutes after the break, only to again be let down by their finishing.

City: Marumo, Molekwane, Tshilo, Mngqibisa, Lichaba, Moyana (Rakhale 59’), Molala, Mdluli (Mthimkhulu 79’), Gopane, Tlolane, Kanyenda (Nzimande 64’)

Source: iol.co.za

To category page