A 16-year-old girl has died after allegedly taking an overdose of contraceptive pills because she was terrified of getting pregnant.
The teen, whose name hasn’t been released, was rushed to a hospital in the city of Yoshkar-Ola, in western Russia, after collapsing at home.
She was taken to the hospital’s intensive-care unit in critical condition, but doctors were unable to save her and she died a few days later.
The girl is believed to have taken several contraceptive pills, and also paracetamol, after having unprotected sex with her 16-year-old boyfriend.
Her condition deteriorated so quickly her worried parents called an ambulance to take her to hospital.
By the time she arrived, she was in critical condition and was rushed straight into intensive care but died later from acute poisoning.
It’s not reported how many pills she took or whether they were normal contraceptive pills or morning after pills.
“The victim’s body is being examined at the moment,” a police spokesperson said.
“The investigation is to determine whether she took the medical supplies on her own or whether she was persuaded to take them by another person.”