- Wet road surfaces can cause tyres to hydroplane (skim on a thin layer of water).
- Wind creates additional problems for drivers as it reduces steering control.
- It can be especially dangerous for recreational vehicles and vehicles towing trailers.
- High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds.
- Sudden gusts of wind may present a unique risk as you cross a culvert or bridge, or drive through mountain passes and ravines.
- You may also encounter a small gust when being passed by a large truck or bus.
Also watch: KZN storm 'like a scene out of Armageddon'