Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

South Sudan rebels accuse government of new offensive

13 September 2017 12:34 PM
29 0
South Sudan rebels accuse government of new offensive

Johannesburg - South Sudan's armed opposition has accused government troops of attacking a town that has sheltered thousands of displaced people near the Sudan border and sending them fleeing again.

Opposition spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel calls this week's alleged offensive on Aburoc an "act of terror against innocent civilians." The town had been one of the few remaining rebel strongholds in the region.

Aburoc had been sheltering roughly 10 000 people. Many had been displaced several times by South Sudan's civil war.

Government spokesperson Ateny Wek Ateny says South Sudan's troops wouldn't attack unless in self-defense.

Aid group Doctors Without Borders says it has temporarily relocated its teams from Aburoc after tensions rose on Monday. The group's head of mission in South Sudan, Jaume Rado, says the general population is at risk.

Also read: Zuma tackles controversial issues at #UNGA

Source: news24.com

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0